Naming and Storytelling
Of the four stories we’re reviewing (Pt 1: Jacob/Leah/Rachel, Naomi/Ruth/Boaz; Pt 2: Abram/Sarai, Hosea/Gomer):
- Which two names and meanings resonate with you and why?
- What does your name mean?
- What is the root or history of your name?
- How does your name relate to your overall story?
- What does your name tell you about yourself?
- What drives you?
Relationships Tell a Story
What are the primary and secondary relationships in the four stories and how do they impact or drive the story?
What principle [a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief] stands out to you from the stories we’ve read? Do you see this principle exhibited in relationships you have a view of?
Is polygamy a violation of the principle of oneness (Genesis 2:24-25)?
- Does surrogacy (as done in the Bible) violate the union between husband and wife?
- If man and woman are to join together in marriage, what issues do you see with adultery and surrogate mothers (ex. Hagar, Bilhah and Zilpah)?
- How do these issues seep into the larger family and community?
- How do they impact what becomes culture and tradition?
Here are some resources I’ve been digging into.
The Bible Project creates excellent topic and book video summaries (all under 10 minutes).
The next Zoom discussion will be November 3, 2020, 7:00am MST/9:00am CT/10:00 ET/4:00pm GMT
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for Zoom connection link.