Marriage & Relationship: Modern Concepts vs. Biblical Principles, Part 5
Elizabeth/Zechariah and Mary/Joseph
- Naomi, Ruth & Boaz (Book of Ruth)
- Jacob, Leah, Rachel (Genesis 29-31, 34-35)
- Abram/Abraham & Sarai/Sarah (Genesis 12-13, 15-18, 20-22)
- Hosea & Gomer (Book of Hosea)
- Adam/Adamah & Chavah/Eve (Genesis 1-5, Revelation 22)
- Elkanah & Hannah (1 Samuel 1-3)
- Manoah & His Wife (Judges 13)
- Elizabeth and Zechariah (Luke 1)
- Mary and Joseph (Matthew 1, Luke 1-3)
Part 5 Themes
- Spiritual pregnancy and purpose
- How is faith represented in these stories?
- What errors do the righteous make in the presence of God or with His messengers?
- Disbelief is shared between genders as is immediate faith. Was Zechariah punished or given an opportunity? Why do you think he was sentenced to silenced for his question and Mary wasn’t? For that matter, neither were Abraham and Sarah. Why does Zechariah stand out in his disbelief?
- How are the prayers and prophesies of Hannah, Mary/Elizabeth and Zechariah similar?
- What correlations do you see within the stories we’ve reviewed (re: couples, friends, family, community, relationship with God)?
- The following women are not given origins in their narratives: Sarai, Manoah’s wife, Mary. What do you read into this or take away from it?
- What is the role or importance of barrenness, children and adoption in the stories?
- How does travel impact Mary and Elizabeth in their stories? What role does travel play in the other stories?
- What are the similarities between the conception, pregnancies, instructions for and lives of Samson, Samuel, John and Jesus?
- Where is God in the relationship and story?
The discussion for Part 5 will be on Saturday, December 19, 2020 at 8:00am MT. All are welcome to join. Email BibleStudy@Harvest-Life.org for link.
- Discussion Questions: Marriage & Relationship, Part 2
- Discussion Questions: Marriage & Relationship, Part 3
- Video MR2.0: Marriage & Relationship Series Intro
- Video MR3.2: Oneness in Humanity & Community in Creation
- Sermon: Favor Over Fear by Steven Furtick
- Jump To a New Conclusion ((15) Jump To A New Conclusion | Pastor Steven Furtick | Elevation Church – YouTube)
Some items I’ve read during my study:
- Names: https://www.behindthename.com
- Why was Zechariah punished for questioning the angel but not Mary?
- Luke’s seventy-seven generations: https://www.livius.org/sources/content/bible/lukes-seventy-seven-generations/
- Number: https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/number/