Myles Munroe is one of the most phenomenal Bible teachers I’ve ever listened to and read. I came across him early in my studies, so I’m sure some of his explanations are embedded in my thinking. I’ve been listening to sermons this weekend and thought about him. He and his wife died in a plane crash in 2014, but thanks to technology, specifically #Youtube, he’s still easy to find. This sermon begins with how ideas outlive people. How wonderful that his teachings remain with us.
This is a teaching on God’s Kingdom – Heaven – and how the Kingdom of Heaven was Jesus’s reason, purpose and message on Earth.
Ideas outlive people.
The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours forth speech, and night to night declares knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words; their voice is not heard; yet their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. ~ Psalm 19:1-4
- Precepts laid down
- Obey them fully
The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the decrees of the Lord are sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is clear, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. ~ Psalm 19:7-9
- Don’t just learn God’s written Word, learn the idea behind the word.
- The letter can kill (law). But knowing the ideas or spirit behind it can give you life.
- David was a man after God’s heart (mind). David wanted God’s ideas.
Samuel said to Saul, “You have done foolishly; you have not kept the commandment of the Lord your God, which he commanded you. The Lord would have established your kingdom over Israel forever, but now your kingdom will not continue; the Lord has sought out a man after his own heart; and the Lord has appointed him to be ruler over his people, because you have not kept what the Lord commanded you.” ~ 1 Samuel 13:14
- Many are plans in mans heart (head), but God’s purpose will prevail.
The human mind may devise many plans, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will be established. ~ Proverbs 19:21
Purpose => original idea
Communication requires parties know and understand the same concepts in order to understand the same words. The key to understanding is concepts. The source of misunderstanding is misconception.
The Bible is about:
- A king (not a prime minister, president, governor, etc.), an absolute ruler
- A kingdom (not a democracy, religion), a country with citizenship You don’t negotiate with a king, you obey him
A royal family who was given a responsibility by their Father to rule a planet for Him, i.e. colonize Earth for Heaven => Kingdom expansion.
- Only kingdoms expand. Democracies and republics don’t expand, bc kingdoms get their glory from territory. When kingdoms expand, it is called colonization. The Bible is the first colonial document on Earth.
- “Let us make man in our own image, likeness. Let them have dominion over the territory of the Earth.”
- Fill the earth with the culture of heaven.
- Expansion of culture and government.When a kingdom impacts a territory, it changes the territory to become just like the kingdom. When kingdoms expand they take away your history and give you their history. That’s what God does when you come to Him. We are no longer who we were, we become sons and daughters of God.
Jesus is the most Misunderstood man on Earth
- He came to restore God’s ideas. We misunderstood God’s ideas.
- We assume he came to start a religion (we classify him with other religious leaders: Muhammad, Buddha, Confucius, Baháʼí )
- His primary opposition was religious leaders
- His best friends were sinners
- His message did not condemn them
In the beginning
In the beginning was the Word [Logos], and the Word [Logos] was with God, and the Word [Logos] was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life, and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it. ~ John 1:1-5
Logos => expressed idea
In the beginning was God’s expressed His Idea and God’s Idea was God, God’s Idea was in God and God’s Idea was with God from the beginning.
Through His ideas all things were made.
In him was life and the life was light. The darkness couldn’t handle it.
Light => knowledge
Darkness => ignorance
The word became flesh.
Jesus Christ is God’s ideas in a body.
We don’t need to wonder what God is thinking anymore because Jesus is His expressed words.
Glory / Kabod (Hebrew) => true Nature (what he is really like), i.e., look at Jesus’s actions
Jesus didn’t come to destroy men’s lives but to save them.
Jesus was not a prophet
Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” Then he sternly ordered the disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah. ~ Matthew 16:13-20, see also Mark 8:27-30 and Luke 9:18-20
Who do you say I am?
Christ => anointed king
Upon that declaration (rock) I will build my ecclesia (church).
Ecclesia => senate, cabinet
Church is a government agency, not a religious body
- We are representatives of the king
- The church is a state, not a religion
- Christians see Jesus as a religious leader, a savior.
- Jesus never founded a religion
- Heaven is the original country that’s a kingdom
- Heaven is invisible
- Jehovah is the king
- Intent to extend invisible kingdom to visible universe
STILL EDITING – WILL UPDATE WITH LINKS BELOW
Matt 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Matt 6:33 But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Why do you worry about what you will eat, drink and live. Take no thought of these things.
Only pagans pray for those things. (Religious devout)
Your Father knows you need those those things.
Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you
Human motivation, basic needs.
Jesus: Begin to know who you are first
Luke 4:43 “I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other cities also; for I was sent for this purpose.”
Matt 6 keys of the kingdom
Some of you standing here will not see death
Matt 13 knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven
Kingdom sow seeds
Matt 13:19 when some hears the message of the kingdom and doesn’t understand it, the devil himself comes to take it from you.
Matt 23 woe to you religious leaders, hypocrites,
Don’t allow people to enter the kingdom
Woe – damn you, go to hell
Miracles are a sign that another culture has arrived.
**Luke 16 law and prophet complain since John, there is only one message.
Luke 19:13 occupy the territory
Kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed.
Thy kingdom come, your ideas be done on earth as in heaven
Jesus: Father do not take them out of the world.
The culture of God
The power of yeast is influence
- Yeast is never afraid of dough
- Yeast is never intimidated by dough
- Power is in your influence
- Yeast never becomes dough
- Yeast can never affect dough until its in it
- Yeast can never be extracted
- Yeast is useless in the package
- Yeast works quietly but effectively
Kingdom of heaven is like yeast. It is the influence.
You can’t change what you avoid. We must be integrated in the system. Don’t leave the state to the devil
Ref: Daniel changed Babylon, joseph changed Egypt, Esther changed
Luke 12:22 32
My kingdom is from another place
Problem: We preach the gospel of Jesus Christ but we don’t preach the gospel that Jesu preached.
Matt 10:7 as you go, preach this message: The kingdom of Heaven has arrived.
Repent (change your ideas, thinking) the kingdom is near
To become a citizen, you must be born into it, born again. Born of the holy spirit when it comes upon you.
You cannot be a member of a country. Members have no rights.
Corinthians 5:20 your citizenship is in heaven.
Scripture from New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
Definitions from Dictionary.com