Notes: Family Matters – Past
Then the Lord said to Jacob, “Return to the land of your ancestors and to your kindred, and I will be with you.” (Gen 31:3)
- Face your worse fear. What scares you most in life?
- “I will be with you.” Says God
Sometimes looking back is our biggest fear. Peace isn’t found by running away. Peace is something we go back to make.
Then the man said, “You shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with humans, and have prevailed.” Then Jacob asked him, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And there he blessed him. So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, “For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life is preserved.” (Genesis 32:28-30)
- Jacob accepted who he was and received a new identity.
- We can’t control our future but we can make peace with our past.
- As you wrestle with your past you decide what to carry forward and what to leave behind – let go of.
After his name change, Jacob and Israel became interchangeable.
- We are who we are w/God but improved when we stay with God
- We can make peace with our past so we don’t have to be haunted by it
Challenges for You:
- Look back, go back and know God is with you.
- Make peace with what you find by praying and wrestling with God for your blessing.
- Decide what to move forward with in life and what to leave behind.